Now accepting 2nd-round applicants for the 2022-2023 Academic year!
Want to learn more? Read below or CLICK HERE to download the RA Selection Info Sheet!
What is a Resident Assistant (RA)?
Resident Assistants (RAs) are front line helpers on staff. RAs are dedicated to learning about their residents so that we can help make their stay in our hall a pleasant one. RAs plan programs/events to build community in the residence halls, and they are trained to help mediate and resolve resident issues. RAs also enforce policy and serve in an on-call duty rotation to ensure the safety and security of the residence Halls.
General Job Responsibilities
- Be available, approachable, visible, and serve as a resource to students in your area by assisting them with personal, social, academic, and general problems.
- Regularly interact with students on assigned floor(s) and building.
- Plan and facilitate assigned number of programs (events) per semester.
- Serve in an “on duty” rotation in accordance with departmental protocol.
- Confront and report inappropriate student behavior that infringes on the rights of others or violates the Student Code of Conduct, while both on AND off duty.
- Attend monthly all-staff meetings, weekly area staff meetings, weekly one-on-one meetings with your supervisor and any other meetings as required by your supervisor, or the Director of Residence Life.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the Residence Halls (August opening, Thanksgiving Break closing/opening, Winter Break closing/opening, Spring Break closing/opening, May Closing & Senior Days)
- Conduct monthly Health and Safety Inspections of your assigned residential area.
- Remain on campus a minimum of two weekends a month.
- General area assistance and other duties as assigned.
- Outside employment is permitted but may not exceed more than 12 hours during any given week for new RAs, or 20 hours per week for returning RAs.
- The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to revoke permission for outside employment if concerns arise regarding academic performance and/or satisfactory employee performance.
How are RAs compensated for their work?
- RAs are compensated $9,000 per year* ($4,500 per semester) applied directly to their student account.
- *Advertised compensation rates are based upon current 2021-2022 budget and are subject to change pending budget approval for 2022-23. See application for more information.
Who can apply?
- In order to be considered for the Resident Assistant position, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be enrolled as a full-time day or graduate student throughout course of employment (12 academic credits)
- Must be in good academic standing with minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25
- Must be in satisfactory disciplinary status as determined by Director of Residence Life
- Must be a resident student for at least one semester by the start of employment (August 2022)
How do I apply?
- Click here to download the RA Application 2022-2023!
- Applications should be completed by Monday, November 1st at 4:00 PM
- Completed applications should be returned to the Student Life Suite in Fels 301 by the deadline above.
- If you do not currently live on campus, please email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- Applications due – Monday, November 1ST at 4:00 PM
- Group Process – Saturday, November 6th from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Individual Interviews – Tuesday, November 9th – Friday, November 12th
- Hiring Decisions – Friday, December 3rd
- Accept/Deny Deadline – Tuesday, December 7th at 12:00 PM Noon
- RA ADA Accommodation Requests Due – March 1st
- Student-Staff Roommate Selection – March 28th
- 2022-2023 Staff Kick-off – April 6th
UPCOMING OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN MORE ABOUT BECOMING AN RA
- October 11th, 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM in the Lombard Dining Hall
- October 13th, 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM in the Lombard Dining Hall
- October 15th, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM in the Lombard Dining Hall
- October 14th, @ 3 PM Via Zoom https://nichols.zoom.us/j/5345325871
- October 20th, @ 7 PM in the 1st Floor Lounge of Shamie Hall
- October 21st, @ 3:30 PM in Fels 323
- October 26th, @ 3 PM Via Zoom https://nichols.zoom.us/j/5345325871
- October 26th, @ 6 PM in the Remillard Lobby/Kitchen
- October 28th, @ 7 PM in the 1st Floor Lounge of Shamie Hall