The online Housing Application tells the Residence Life Office who is in your roommate group and notes your wish to enter the Room Selection / Lottery Process. You (and your group) are responsible for showing up to Room Selection / Lottery timeframe.
This online application will be available from the Nichols College Portal beginning on February 8th, 2023 and must be completed by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 31st, 2023 (HARD DEADLINE). Use the step by step guide located below.
- Access the Housing Portal → here
- Access the step by step Housing Application / Roommate Guide → here
Please note that we will use the following process to determine your final Group Number:
Year Of Graduation (YOG):
The Registrar’s Office makes the official determination of your Year Of Graduation. If you are unsure of your Year Of Graduation, please check with the Registrar’s Office.
Determining your Range for Lottery Number:
Residence Life staff will then use your YOG to determine your range for your INDIVIDUAL Random Lottery Number. This allows for students in different years to live together but maintain seniority based on individual YOG.
- Students with the YOG of 2024 will receive an individual lottery number between 100-999
- Students with the YOG of 2025 will receive an individual lottery number between 1000-1999
- Students with the YOG of 2026 will receive an individual lottery number starting at 2000
Your GROUP lottery number is the average of everyone’s individual lottery number within your matched roommate group. Your group lottery number is the order you will choose your room.
- EXAMPLE: Senior student A receives an individual lottery number of 150. Junior student B receives an individual lottery number of 1200. These 2 students wish to live together, and fully-match via the online system. Their new GROUP lottery number is 675 (150 +1200/2)
- EXAMPLE: Sophomore student A receives an individual lottery number of 2100. They have not matched with any roommates, so they are considered a “group of 1” – their GROUP lottery number is 2100.
Study Abroad / Internship Students
Any student that is currently on an internship or studying abroad is welcome to participate in the Housing Lottery and is treated as a Resident student if their last semester they were a Resident, (example: resident in Fall 2022, currently studying aboard for Spring 2023). If someone currently on an internship or studying abroad lived off campus last semester they will enter Lottery as a Commuter*.
*A student can identify a Res Life Staff member to act as their Proxy, i.e. Director of Residence Life*
- Access the Proxy form → here
Please note that students who are studying abroad or attending a non-local internship for Fall 2023 are not guaranteed to be placed in the same location they chose during room selection when they return to campus housing in Spring 2024. Students planning on studying abroad or attending a non-local internship can work with Res Life before leaving to help coordinate an exchange with a student departing the following semester if available.